[oe] RFC: Merging multimachine.bbclass as the default

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Tue Aug 21 10:38:57 UTC 2007

I've just discovered some problems with the way we store data in
${STAGING_DIR}/pkgdata. The problem is it can be machine specific e.g.
machine A might build kernel module X, machine B might not. This means
the data there can be invalid and if you try to re build packages it can
crash and burn badly.

In principle this is simple to fix, we just define the PKGDATA path in
bitbake.conf and then override it in multimachine.bbclass.

It does make me wonder if its time to merge multimachine into the
standard class/conf files though? It doesn't seem to harm anything, it
seems to work well and lots of people are using it. Anyone for or
against making it default?

We could even create a "nomultimachine.bbclass" if people wanted a
compatibility route but I think it might be a bit pointless...

Cheers,

Richard