[oe] [Angstrom-devel] RFC: Add ipkg to minimal image

Koen Kooi k.kooi at student.utwente.nl
Sun Dec 2 13:17:07 UTC 2007

Richard Purdie schreef:
> On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 09:17 +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:
>> Rod Whitby schreef:
>>> RFC #1:
>> Marcin and I had a discussion about that, but I can't remember the
>> outcome. So "I have no strong opinions on that".
>
> I think minimal was really intended for people trying to boot systems
> for the first time and really is 'the bare essentials to boot'. Having
> said that I appreciate the problem of creating an image cut down enough
> for the NSLU2.
>
> Ideally, MACHINE=nslu2 should make the console image become small enough
> to be usable for the device even if that different compared to the
> minimal image is just the package manager due to size constraints...
>
> On a related but different note, the presence of a package manager or
> not sounds like an DISTRO_FEATURE. Perhaps we should add
> "package-manager" as a DISTRO_FEATURE and then use this to decide
> whether a package manager should be installed into an image. The package
> manager to install should determined by the class building the image so
> you end up with a package manager appropriate to the image - ipkg or
> dpkg+apt currently.

For angstrom it's an IMAGE_FEATURE, since some images need it (e.g.
console-image) and others don't (e.g. initramfs).
Right not you can set ANGSTROM_PKG_FORMAT to 'deb' or 'ipkg' to create
images using .ipk or .deb packages, with no rebuild needed, changing it
halfway during a build and restarting bitbake "Just Works(TM)". Any
changes to how a packagemanager is installed must keep that
'automagical' feature. The only thing missing in Rods patch is to set
the packagemanager var in
conf/distro/include/angstrom-package-{deb,ipkg}.inc.

regards,

Koen

- --
koen at dominion.kabel.utwente.nl will go go away in december 2007, please