[oe] [Angstrom-devel] RFC: Add ipkg to minimal image

Koen Kooi k.kooi at student.utwente.nl
Sun Dec 2 15:35:33 UTC 2007

Koen Kooi schreef:
> Richard Purdie schreef:
>>> Marcin and I had a discussion about that, but I can't remember the
>>> outcome. So "I have no strong opinions on that".
>> I think minimal was really intended for people trying to boot systems
>> for the first time and really is 'the bare essentials to boot'. Having
>> said that I appreciate the problem of creating an image cut down enough
>> for the NSLU2.
>
>> Ideally, MACHINE=nslu2 should make the console image become small enough
>> to be usable for the device even if that different compared to the
>> minimal image is just the package manager due to size constraints...
>
>> On a related but different note, the presence of a package manager or
>> not sounds like an DISTRO_FEATURE. Perhaps we should add
>> "package-manager" as a DISTRO_FEATURE and then use this to decide
>> whether a package manager should be installed into an image. The package
>> manager to install should determined by the class building the image so
>> you end up with a package manager appropriate to the image - ipkg or
>> dpkg+apt currently.
>
> For angstrom it's an IMAGE_FEATURE, since some images need it (e.g.
> console-image) and others don't (e.g. initramfs).
> Right not you can set ANGSTROM_PKG_FORMAT to 'deb' or 'ipkg' to create
> images using .ipk or .deb packages, with no rebuild needed, changing it
> halfway during a build and restarting bitbake "Just Works(TM)". Any
> changes to how a packagemanager is installed must keep that
> 'automagical' feature. The only thing missing in Rods patch is to set
> the packagemanager var in
> conf/distro/include/angstrom-package-{deb,ipkg}.inc.

To make it a bit more clear:

There are 3 seperate items being discusses here:

 1. how to stop a packagemanager getting into an image
 2. selecting which packageformat the build should use
 3. selecting which packagemanager handles which packageformat (ipkg can
handle .debs for example)

ANGSTROM_PKG_FORMAT handles 2. and 3., but not 1. (yet)

I think having a flag indicating *which* packagemanager gets is (like
Rods patch does) is a good thing, but a flag toggling the presence of
the packagemanager wouldn't be, since you can't distinguish the
resulting images from each other.
I think creating e.g. <foo>-nopm.bb recipes that do 'require <foo>.bb ;
PACKAGE_MANAGER = " "' would be the least confusing option.

I hope this clears things up a bit.

regards,

Koen

- --