[oe] Why is package external-toolchain-1.0 failing?

Mike Westerhof mwester at dls.net
Thu Dec 13 04:18:17 UTC 2007

On Thu 13/12/07  1:30 AM , Grant Edwards grante at visi.com sent:
> I've followed the step-by-step instructions on the "getting
> started with OE" web page for a Zaurus SL5500, but when I try
> to do the example build command "bitbake nano" it fails.
> Google didn't really find anything that seemed helpful.  I
> searched the mailing list and found a posting a coule weeks ago
> from somebody who had the exact same issue, but that posting
> got no useful responses (possibly because it hijacked a
> thread).
>
> What is an "external toolchain", do I need one to build for an
> SL5500 target?  If I do need one, why doesn't bitbake know how
> to build one?

Oh, you don't want an external toolchain. Bitbake just has two possible choices,
and it chose the wrong one.  And, yes, it should know how to build the external
toolchain, when that stuff actually works, there are a lot of computers (and
power plants) that won't have to work so hard to build stuff with OE.

> Here's the output from the "bitbake nano" command:

> Parsing .bb files, please wait...done.
> NOTE: Parsing finished. 4675 cached, 0 parsed, 218 skipped, 0 masked.
> NOTE: build 200712121925: started
>
> OE Build Configuration:
> BB_VERSION     = "1.8.8"
> OE_REVISION    = "47aec7f5811a7e41e48a85cc8ca83a9ef745e862"
> TARGET_ARCH    = "arm"
> TARGET_OS      = "linux"
> MACHINE        = "collie"
> DISTRO         = "angstrom"
> DISTRO_VERSION = "2007.9-test-20071213"
> TARGET_FPU     = "soft"
>
> NOTE: Resolving missing task queue dependencies
> NOTE: multiple providers are available for linux-libc-headers
> (linux-libc-headers, external-toolchain);
> NOTE: consider defining PREFERRED_PROVIDER_linux-libc-headers
> NOTE: multiple providers are available for
> virtual/arm-angstrom-linux-binutils (external-toolchain,
> binutils-cross);
> NOTE: consider defining
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/arm-angstrom-linux-binutils

These preceding lines tell the tale.  OE has multiple possible things that can
provide the dependencies, and it's chosen (arbitrarily) "external-toolchain".  As
it suggests, add the following to your local.conf to dis-ambiguate (is that a word?):

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_linux-libc-headers = "linux-libc-headers"
PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/arm-angstrom-linux-binutils = "binutils-cross"

Mike (mwester)