[oe] Why is package external-toolchain-1.0 failing?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Dec 13 04:18:24 UTC 2007

On 2007-12-13, Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you attach your local conf file that you might have created.

I believe that the key is this line:

>>> NOTE: multiple providers are available for virtual/arm-angstrom-linux-binutils (external-toolchain, binutils-cross);
>>> NOTE: consider defining PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/arm-angstrom-linux-binutils

I added a line in local.conf to set the preferred provider for
virtual/arm-angstrom-linux-binutils to binutils-cross, and now
things appear to be building (it's been building for an hour or
so now, which is way farther than it got before).

For some reason the example local.conf.sample incudes the
following

  PREFERRED_PROVIDERS += "virtual/${TARGET_PREFIX}gcc-initial:gcc-cross-initial"
  PREFERRED_PROVIDERS += " virtual/${TARGET_PREFIX}gcc:gcc-cross"
  PREFERRED_PROVIDERS += " virtual/${TARGET_PREFIX}g++:gcc-cross"

but doesn't doesn't select binutils-cross. I would suggest
adding this line to local.conf.sample:

  PREFERRED_PROVIDERS += "virtual/${TARGET_PREFIX}binutils:binutils-cross"

Or at least mentioning it on the "Getting Started" page,
because if you follow the steps on that page exactly, it won't
work unless you add the above line to local.conf.

--
Grant