[oe] RFC: drop timezones from OE

Rolf Leggewie no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de
Fri Dec 14 14:08:01 UTC 2007

Hi,

it seems that there are two, conflicting packages in OE providing
timezone data: tzdata from glibc and timezones from opie/handhelds.

I think it would make sense to drop timezones and only have the timezone
data from glibc as this eliminates problems where one wants to install
package A that depends on tzdata but you also want package B where the
dependency is declared for timezones.  Currently, you can only install
either A or B.

If there is consensus on this, I would take care that OE metadata is
updated accordingly (drop timezones folder, replace occurences of
timezones in DEPENDS with tzdata, etc.)

Regards

Rolf