[oe] RFC: Renaming uboot-utils

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 13:14:28 UTC 2007

Hello all,

On Dec 14, 2007 9:16 PM, Koen Kooi <k.kooi at student.utwente.nl> wrote:
> Andy Wilcox schreef:
> > Since uboot-utils builds a native binary (mkImage) it should really be
> > called uboot-utils-native.
>
> That part makes sense. FWIW, we already have a uboot-mkimage-native
> recipe in OE.

Also, consider u-boot-utils instead of uboot-utils. The project is
called u-boot and I thought I saw both namespaces appear in the u-boot
dir?
(If I'm too late, probably forget this).

Also +1 from me.

> > My motivation is (a) I'd really like to build a few tools from uboot
> > which are cross-compiled
>
> And now you're talking about uboot-utils-cross, not uboot-utils-native

Not necessarely.

Anything *-cross is a tool that is built for, and runs on one platform
and generates output for another.

Andy said a few tools which *are* cross-compiled, so he I think he
wants to cross-compile tools, which are deployed on the target and as
such do not generate output for another target.

u-boot-utils-cross would be a package that generates tools, of which
the output only can run on a target.

I think some of the tools in u-boot are cross tools, some are not, and
some are agnostic (the output from mkimage can be interpreted on any
host AFAIK).

Regards,

Leon.