[oe] [oe-commits] org.oe.dev PDA-like machines with card slots: Enable "vfat" feature.

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 11:35:00 UTC 2007

Hello pHilipp,

> On Dec 18, 2007 3:47 AM, pfalcon commit
> <openembedded-commits at lists.openembedded.org> wrote:
>> PDA-like machines with card slots: Enable "vfat" feature.
>> * FAT-formatted cards are commodity, it's expectable them to be supported OOB.

> A machine feature "vfat" sounds strange. I think machine features
> should be about the hardware capabilities.

  Yep, with this common sense in mind I quickly replied to Rod that
introducing it wouldn't help with "bloating" issue. Well, it instead
COMBINED feature.

>  Unfortunately I don't have
> a proposal for a good name, but I'd prefer something like "cardslot"
> or some better generic term for SD/CF/MemoryStick/etc. capability.
> Then the distro can decide whether that means to add vfat support or
> ext2 or gnome-volume-manager or some fancy card formatting GUI app.

  It's of course not about just name, but about feature processing
logic. Current COMBINED_FEATURES mechanism is at least very easy to
understand and provides great deal of detailed flexibility.

> regards
> Philipp

[]

--