[oe] [oe-commits] org.oe.dev PDA-like machines with card slots: Enable "vfat" feature.

pHilipp Zabel philipp.zabel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 14:38:45 UTC 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 12:35 PM, Paul Sokolovsky <pmiscml at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello pHilipp,
>
> Tuesday, December 18, 2007, 12:17:27 PM, you wrote:
>
> > On Dec 18, 2007 3:47 AM, pfalcon commit
> > <openembedded-commits at lists.openembedded.org> wrote:
> >> PDA-like machines with card slots: Enable "vfat" feature.
> >> * FAT-formatted cards are commodity, it's expectable them to be supported OOB.
>
> > A machine feature "vfat" sounds strange. I think machine features
> > should be about the hardware capabilities.
>
>   Yep, with this common sense in mind I quickly replied to Rod that
> introducing it wouldn't help with "bloating" issue. Well, it instead
> COMBINED feature.

Combined or not, I think vfat has no place in the machine features list.
The same goes for ext2 IMHO, and having hdparm in task-base-ext2 is even worse.
Shouldn't there be a MACHINE_FEATURE hdd or ide/ata/pata/sata/scsi instead?
The problem is that there is no easy way to ask for "X in
MACHINE_FEATURE and Y in DISTRO_FEATURE". COMBINED_FEATURES obviously
only supports "X in both".

> >  Unfortunately I don't have
> > a proposal for a good name, but I'd prefer something like "cardslot"
> > or some better generic term for SD/CF/MemoryStick/etc. capability.
> > Then the distro can decide whether that means to add vfat support or
> > ext2 or gnome-volume-manager or some fancy card formatting GUI app.
>
> It's of course not about just name, but about feature processing
> logic.

Good.

> Current COMBINED_FEATURES mechanism is at least very easy to
> understand and provides great deal of detailed flexibility.

So now that we have the easy method implemented, let's strive for a correct one.
I'd say vfat as other file systems should be a distro-only feature,
cardslot (or "removablestorage") a machine-only one:

"vfat" in DISTRO_FEATURES and "cardslot" in MACHINE_FEATURES --> task-base-vfat
"ext2" in DISTRO_FEATURES and ("cardslot" in MACHINE_FEATURES or "hdd"
in MACHINE_FEATURES) --> task-base-ext2 (without the hdparm
dependency)
"hdd" in MACHINE_FEATURES --> hdparm
etc.

regards