[oe] How will OE handle the US timezone change?

Mike (mwester) mwester at dls.net
Mon Feb 5 15:50:20 UTC 2007

> Rod Whitby wrote:
> > Not that I really care (not living in the US), but people using distros
> > built from OE are getting concerned about how the new US DST timezone
> > thing is going to be handled.
>
> I must have missed that news -- what did they do?

The energy act of 2005 changed DST to begin earlier and end later.  This
change is not limited to the US.  I expect the impact to Bermuda to be
minimal -- I think timezones fade to insignificance when sitting on the
beach in the sunshine, with a cold drink in hand.  However, the change also
affects Canada.

Based on a cursory look, the existing timezone-* packages are significantly
out-of-date, so this particular DST change is only the most recent of the
ones it probably missed.  Perhaps the lack of feedback on this is an
indication that the timezone packages are not in widespread use.

Mike (mwester)