[oe] RFC: diet-x11, small-x11 and fat-x11

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Tue Feb 6 12:01:05 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 11:59 +0100, Koen Kooi wrote:
> > One thing I'd like to see would be a different package name for all
> > three of them, so we can actually have all versions in the feeds
> > (currently both libx11 and diet-x11 build packages with the same
> > name).
>
> However annoying, it is a feature which we can exploit. If we take care that PR_small-x11
> < PR_medium-x11 < PR_big-x11 we can split those into different feeds containing libx11 +
> dependant apps.

Its probably unrealistic to maintain that and it will end up in a mess.

If we are going down this route, we should probably have applications
say which flavour of libx11 they want through some virtual namespaces.
virtual/libx11 would mean they'll work with any of the versions.

I'm also not keen on your naming. As Philipp said, it mixes different
naming styles and we should really have one.

Richard