[oe] Thread-support in perl-native often breaks libintl-perl

Jamie Lenehan lenehan at twibble.org
Wed Feb 14 01:34:42 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 12:31:36PM +0100, Martin Dietze wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  on most platforms thread support is turned off for the
> cross-compiled perl packages. However it is always turned
> on in the perl-native package. Since libraries like
> libintl-perl depend on perl-native since they include their
> headers from staging/[my-platform]-linux/lib/perl5 we get
> an inconsistent configuration: the shared lib gettext_xs.so
> is cross-compiled with headers with thread support turned
> on while the actual (non-native) perl has it turned off. In
> the end libintl-perl will not work:
>
> | /var/bin/perl: relocation error: /var/lib/perl5/auto/Locale/gettext_xs/gettext_xs.so: undefined symbol: Perl_Gthr_key_ptr
>
> Removing the `-Dusethreads' from the perl-native recipe solves
> this problem, but will it cause problems for others?

For sh4 I turned on threading for perl which is probably why I didn't
have this issue. I can't remember if I turned it on because of this
issue or if I needed it for somethings else. It probably doesn't
matter much anymore for my situation because I've since rewrote the
perl management application I was working on in C, so I only use perl
a lot of simpler things now.

I agree that we probably need to make perl and perl-native agree on
this. If everything appears to be ok with it turned off in
perl-native then I'd be fine with that (and would turn it of for the
sh4 perl as well.)

--
 Jamie Lenehan <lenehan at twibble.org>