[oe] OE Booth during fosdem

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Wed Feb 14 22:31:14 UTC 2007

On Feb 14, 2007, at 12:22 PM, Tim Bird wrote:

>>> Do think of promoting this beforehand. I don't think there will
>>> be many
>>> people going: "Oh I have this ${DEVICE} in my bag somewhere with all
>>> cables and power supply. Please have it." People usually don't carry
>>> surplus HW with them. A little money donation box might be a good
>>> idea
>>> as well. It is easier to organize and people usually carry money to
>>> FOSDEM (you just need to convince them to give it to you instead of
>>> O'Reilly :-)
>>>
>> Maybe an idea to promote it on linuxdevices.com ?
>>
>> Do we have a fund where we can store the funds we get ?
>>
>> I was thinking to set up like a hardware distribution list
>
> FYI - I'm not offering anything specific at the moment,
> but CELF has a fund for making hardware donations for
> interesting OSS projects.  If there's some piece of hardware
> that someone thinks would really advance the goals of
> the OE project, please let me know, and I can have CELF
> consider donating it.

Ya know, I'd consider donating hardware (see www.netgate.com for what
we have) and/or cash if someone would put up a
"build the bootable ISO so you can boot-n-install an OE image on a
HD on ye-olde-random PeeCee" set of patches, or even a recipe for same

Or, equivalently, an image (complete with boot sector) that one could
DD onto a CF card or actual IDE drive that would boot a given root
image on ye-olde-PeeCee.

OpenEmbedded would go a lot faster if people could experiment on
garden-variety PCs rather than go through the "fun" of getting it up-
n-running on more esoteric hardware.

Jim