[oe] [RFC] base_less_or_equal() for numerical value testing in OE

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Tue Feb 27 20:49:01 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 22:35 +0200, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
> This code was committed, as it doesn't affect any existing aspect of
> OE. Please feel free to tweak it, and of course use!

So its not really a RFC, is it? ;-)

I think base_conditional was added but left pretty dumb since we worried
that if it was too generic it might get too many users. Inline python in
the variables hits bitbake and parsing hard and its not something I'd
like to encourage. Holger might have more specific comments. There are
usually better ways to achieve the end result in a more bitbake like
way. Also, personally I find the inline python really hard to read too.

If we are going to do it, I'd prefer to see a set functions in their own
class inherited by base.

Yes, I realise I was guilty of adding a couple of these functions with
task-base. They're mainly used in a couple of specific .bb files rather
than the core classes and hopefully their usefulness outweights any
speed penalty though...

Cheers,

Richard