[oe] OE and the developing host

Nicola Ranaldo ranaldo at unina.it
Wed Feb 28 10:09:25 UTC 2007

I use OE on a gentoo box. This morning i updated the system, and the new
linux-headers package removed /usr/include/asm/page.h. So when building my
angstrom image it failed with perl asking to include that file. This problem
was discussed on the gentoo bug and after applying a simple workaround i was
able to emerge perl on the gentoo box and perl native on OE.
After a while the oe build stopped on esound, this was caused by a malfunction
of /usr/lib/libosp.so.5 on gentoo, i reemerged it and solved the problem. Now
the armstrong-gpe-image is complete. But this introduced a doubt. OE build
some tools directly, and use other directly from the build host, so it could
be teoretically possible to produce different images on different host. Is
there a way or a plan to avoid it and make OE build host independant
(supposing i was correct)? If not, what's the most used/supported distro by
OE developers?

Regards

	Niko