[oe] OE and the developing host

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Wed Feb 28 10:28:03 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 11:09 +0100, Nicola Ranaldo wrote:
> I use OE on a gentoo box. This morning i updated the system, and the new
> linux-headers package removed /usr/include/asm/page.h. So when building my
> angstrom image it failed with perl asking to include that file. This problem
> was discussed on the gentoo bug and after applying a simple workaround i was
> able to emerge perl on the gentoo box and perl native on OE.
> After a while the oe build stopped on esound, this was caused by a malfunction
> of /usr/lib/libosp.so.5 on gentoo, i reemerged it and solved the problem. Now
> the armstrong-gpe-image is complete. But this introduced a doubt. OE build
> some tools directly, and use other directly from the build host, so it could
> be teoretically possible to produce different images on different host. Is
> there a way or a plan to avoid it and make OE build host independant
> (supposing i was correct)? If not, what's the most used/supported distro by
> OE developers?

*-native packages can touch things on the system, any other packages
shouldn't and if they were found to be, it would be a bug and should be
fixed.

Its never going to be possible to make make OE build everything it needs
itself since you always need some prerequisites (e.g. a initial
toolchain).

Personally, I use OE/Poky on Ubuntu and Slackware. There are others
using Gentoo and other systems. Ideally it should work on most systems,
you might see problems with -native packages, you shouldn't see problems
with non -native ones.

Cheers,

Richard