[oe] Fixing ipkg-make-index slowness

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 09:33:13 UTC 2007

Hello Koen,

> Paul Sokolovsky schreef:

>> Richard, what were the reasons for such conservative file matching?
>> Filename matching should be just enough, as per OE convention, any
>> package source changes leading to changes in the package metadata must
>> lead to bumping of package recipe's PR, and that in turn updates package
>> filename.

> It isn't enough. If you repackages the exact same files at a later date, the timestamps in
> the tarball have changed, and hence the md5 will be different. When a user will download a
> package ipkg will check the md5sum present in the index and abort if it doesn't match.

  Then we probably need to separate image building from feed
creation/setup. IIRC, i-m-i currently run during image building
too, and it steals precious minutes from each developer (vs
distro/feed maintainer) multiple times a day. Having Packages
to be updated only by explicit "bitbake package-index" seems
like good compromise and corresponds to the docs which suggest
to do that explicitly.

--
Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com