[oe] Bitbake task dependency stamp handling

Matt Reimer mattjreimer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 00:41:45 UTC 2007

On 1/7/07, Koen Kooi <koen at dominion.kabel.utwente.nl> wrote:

> Richard Purdie schreef:
> > I had some interesting thoughts regarding tasks and their timestamps.
> > Bitbake's current method of dealing with timestamps walks the task
> > digraph structure which only knows about a single .bb file. The result
> > is if you change an earlier task, say do_patch, later tasks like
> > do_compile would rerun. If you rebuild gtk, the rest of your system
> > linking to gtk doesn't rebuild though.
> >
> > If we move away from the digraph which isn't really needed anymore,
> > taskData has the complete dependency tree available to it and the option
> > of rebuilding the whole system if you recompile gtk becomes possible.
> >
> > At face value this sounds really useful. I'd guess that almost every OE
> > developer would find it insanely annoying in practise though?
>
> Annoying, maybe, correct behaviour, yes. Option for local.conf?

Yes please! FreeBSD's portupgrade has a similar feature where you can
upgrade dependencies or packages that depend on the specified one by
passing -r or -R; also, you can have it prompt you to upgrade a
dependency (rather than just doing it) if you run it in interactive
mode. Perhaps if running "bitbake -i" it could prompt? Of course also
check a local.conf knob as Koen suggests.

Matt