[oe] Bitbake task dependency stamp handling

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Mon Jan 8 07:15:40 UTC 2007

Richard Purdie wrote:
> I had some interesting thoughts regarding tasks and their timestamps.
> Bitbake's current method of dealing with timestamps walks the task
> digraph structure which only knows about a single .bb file. The result
> is if you change an earlier task, say do_patch, later tasks like
> do_compile would rerun. If you rebuild gtk, the rest of your system
> linking to gtk doesn't rebuild though.

> If we move away from the digraph which isn't really needed anymore,
> taskData has the complete dependency tree available to it and the option
> of rebuilding the whole system if you recompile gtk becomes possible.

Excellent!

> At face value this sounds really useful. I'd guess that almost every OE
> developer would find it insanely annoying in practise though?

Not at all. I prefer waiting a bit more than having link or structure
mismatched due to changes in headers and libraries.

If it doesn't involve leaving too much code in, then I'd love to see a
way to turn it off to the old behaviour though.

Regards,

:M:
--
Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | IT-Freelancer | http://www.vanille-media.de