[oe] Angstrom cannot buile portabase

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 09:55:02 UTC 2007

Hello Alban,

Sunday, January 14, 2007, 12:39:31 AM, you wrote:

> I have installed Angstrom
> bitbake , nano works

[]
> NOTE: Applying patch 'kernel-keymap.patch'
[]
> |+++ qt-2.3.10-snapshot-20060120/src/kernel/qkeyboard_qws.cpp   2006-01-20
> 21:16:25.412761096 +0100
> --------------------------
> No file to patch.  Skipping patch.
> 19 out of 19 hunks ignored
[]

  This patch was done for inconsistent -pN param, I fixed it now, and
checked that it applies and builds.

  At the same time, there're ongoing changes for OPIE in OE.dev, so if
you want to just build apps for your production handheld, OpenZaurus
branch is recommended.

  Otherwise, we'd need Zaurus people to test OPIE changes in OE.dev,
so your help is appreciated, but expect some breakage then. My general
approach to solve current OPIE issues is to reduce machine
discrepancies in its build to zero, set common requirements for a
machine to be supported in OPIE (adhering to which will automatically
mean that machine is supported) and re-review every patch to QT/E for
unavoidability of application in the current situation (that one being
the situation that original OPIE maintainers no longer have
interest/resources to maintain it).

  In this regard, kernel-keymap.patch is in gray area - it currently
being applied inconsistently without even clear major platform
distinction (currently it is applied to Zauruses and Jornada
PocketPC's). So it should be re-evaluated for benefits it offer vs
possible requirements it has and maintenance burden, and either being
applied consistently for all machines, or dropped.

  I wanted to discuss these issues with Holger (zecke) (and other core
OPIE folks who'd have time/interest) on IRC first, but now that this
issue was raised, I dump this "seed" message here...

--
Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com