[oe] Stable versions of OE

Cliff Brake cliff.brake at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 19:26:06 UTC 2007

On 1/29/07, Nelson Castillo <nelson at emqbit.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've been following this document (http://wiki.emqbit.com//openembedded)
> by Stefano Parusso that explains how to build OE for a ARM board[1].
>
> It works for the snapshot for November the 7th and not for the most recent
> one. I read in the Getting Started wiki page[3]:
>
>   Once you have a "known good" version that works well on your
>   system, keep it! To update, clone a new copy; don't overwrite
>   that working version until it's known to be safe.
>
> So, I guess it means I should stay with the old metadata.

Current versions of OE are quite stable for ARM.  Chances are you have
something configured incorrectly.  Hop on the IRC channel and post the
error and it will probably be easy to fix.

> My questions are:
>
>   * Does OE ever do "stable" releases?

Not that I know of.

>   * If not, how do you make "stable" releases for yur plataforms?

I generally follow the tip of dev early in the development.  At some
point once things are working pretty well, I record the version of the
OE meta data and bitbake I am using and then stick with it.  I can
still update the database, but I always make sure I check out that
revision.  This brings up a good question -- are the revision hashs in
OE valid forever?

Cliff