[oe] howto? Build something but not deploy in root image

Marcin Juszkiewicz openembedded at hrw.one.pl
Mon Jul 9 14:42:59 UTC 2007

Dnia czwartek, 5 lipca 2007, Tom Walsh napisał:

> I have several parts to this project that must be built during the
> bitbake process (bootstrap-image), but are not part of the target
> filesystem image.  The total system parts are:
>
> * bootloader - ARM - resides in Flash.
> * kernel - ARM - resides in Flash.
> * target rootfs image - ARM - resides on MMC card.
> * Flash Utility - native (x86) - runs on host computer.

In machine config add:

IMAGEDEPENDS = "bootloader flash-utility-native"

Basically it should be MACHINE_EXTRA_DEPENDS but we do not support it yet
properly.

> The only thing that I need in the root filesystem (tmp/rootfs/) is the
> packages I named from the local conf files.

Create own image recipe and add those packages to RDEPENDS and
PACKAGE_INSTALL.

> As to the bootloader, it comes in two sections (files), these are
> programmed by the Flash Utility into the target system.  The bootloader
> is not needed in the root filesystem.

> The problem is not getting these things built, but preventing them from
> being installed in the tmp/rootfs/ filesystem or tarball.  They should
> only go into tmp/deploy/image/, which  I currently have them going
> into...

Look at uboot/u-boot* recipes and their do_deploy() tasks which copy
bootloader into tmp/deploy/images/ dir.

> However, the bitbake system assumes that anything that is
> packaged, must be deployed into the root filesystem!?

No. Image is built from packages, but from selected ones only.

> How do you build a bootloader that resides in Flash and doesn't get
> stuck into the filesystem image?  The same would hold true for the
> native (linux PC) app which flashes the target memory.

In their recipes add do_deploy() task which copies them to
tmp/deploy/images/ dir.

--
JID: hrw-jabber.org
OpenEmbedded developer/consultant

     Free speech includes the right not to listen, if not interested
                                                [Robert A. Heinlein]