[oe] howto? Build something but not deploy in root image

Tom Walsh tom at openhardware.net
Sun Jul 15 13:28:24 UTC 2007

Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> Dnia czwartek, 5 lipca 2007, Tom Walsh napisał:
>

>> I have several parts to this project that must be built during the
>> bitbake process (bootstrap-image), but are not part of the target
>> filesystem image.  The total system parts are:
>>
>> * bootloader - ARM - resides in Flash.
>> * kernel - ARM - resides in Flash.
>> * target rootfs image - ARM - resides on MMC card.
>> * Flash Utility - native (x86) - runs on host computer.
>>

> In machine config add:
>
> IMAGEDEPENDS = "bootloader flash-utility-native"
>
> Basically it should be MACHINE_EXTRA_DEPENDS but we do not support it yet
> properly.
>

>> The only thing that I need in the root filesystem (tmp/rootfs/) is the
>> packages I named from the local conf files.
>>

> Create own image recipe and add those packages to RDEPENDS and
> PACKAGE_INSTALL.

Yes, that is what I was trying to avoid: building a custom image
recipe.  It just seemed that it should be possible to thwart the copy of
the kernel image into /boot from setting a variable or something.  The
OE system changes quite frequently and I found myself in trouble with my
own image recipe where I was "away" for several months and "returned".

Adding a DEPENDS for the bootloader and utils within the kernel recipe
did resolve the issue of having the  image recipe attempting to install
those two packages into the IMAGE.  I still have a 1.3Meg kernel in the
/boot directory, though, I guess half a loaf is better than none?  At
least OE now builds the entire project without stopping along the way to
complain about "iconv.h" and other such things.

Regards,

TomW

http://openhardware.net http://cyberiansoftware.com http://openzipit.org