[oe] [RFC] Palms commits.

Sergey Lapin slapinid at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 12:59:44 UTC 2007

On 7/11/07, Richard Purdie <rpurdie at rpsys.net> wrote:
> Hi,
Richard, thanks for your comments!

> I looked at the attachment and it does give me cause for concern.
>
> What's missing from your email is a clear piece of text saying why
> you're making the changes you are. Your commits are also a bit confused.
> Updating a kernel defconfig in "Palm Zire 72 machine update" isn't very
> obvious.
Well, this particular one is mostly due to kernel version update et
al., no functional changes with device point of view, just
un-breaking.

> As for comments on specific things in the patch, in principle I agree
> with common machine files and kernel updates. The
> MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS in the patch looks horrendous however and it
> does go against the principles of task-base and friends.
>
> Problems with the MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS include:
>
> * the modules should have dependency information which removes the need
> for all sound modules to be listed for example, you only need the ones
> at the tips of the chains.
> * duplication with entries already in task-base

Well, that's probably my misunderstanding/ignorance here.
Could you please give me references on where to study this particular
subject (module packages dependencies).

> The module_autoload statements also look scary. Is the device totally
> incapable of loading some of them for itself? I know for a fact you
> don't need all the sound ones.

Yes, but there I have to resolve dependencies by hand, am I right?

Thanks a lot,
S.