[oe] mtn disapprove d7758e2637918ff4035244d64fb7227f6cf833ad, was Re: [oe-commits] org.oe.dev phoneserver: Add patch for FIC GTA01 support.

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Wed Jul 25 14:45:43 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 16:12 +0300, Philippe De Swert wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 13:04 +0200, Florian Boor wrote:
> > Koen Kooi schrieb:
> > > You are right that it's more productive to fix small errors than to disapprove, but:
> > > I did that the first few times with PACKAGE_ARCH = "${MACHINE}", and people still keep
> > > adding it, so now I'm doing dissaprove + mail to oe-devel to raise awareness.
> > > Fixing errors afterwards is only productive if people learn from it and stop making the
> > > same error again, which wasn't the case here.
> >
> > didn't I react on the mail to the list?
> > Did I introduce a similar bug lately?
> >
> > I really do not appreciate if people revert a complete change for the lack of
> > five bytes. That wastes too much of precious time - I can live with that, but I
> > do not want such reactions causing other contributors to run away.
>
> I tend to agree with Florian here. However the first time you need to
> fix it mail the person who made the mistake and cc the mailing list so
> everybody knows. Only afterwards you can start disapproving commits.

We've been chasing people introducing that particular bug for a while,
there are commits from me 18 months ago fixing it and I'm fairly sure
florian has been told about it before.

A disapprove could therefore arguably be justified to raise the profile
of the problem a bit since if its been going on for 18 months, the
message has not sunk in. Thats been done, the profile has been raised,
lets get back to normal now :).

Cheers,

Richard