[oe] [Angstrom-devel] Angstrom Core Team

Cliff Brake cliff.brake at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 17:33:04 UTC 2007

On 7/24/07, Koen Kooi <koen at dominion.kabel.utwente.nl> wrote:

> Stelios Koroneos schreef:

> That is indeed a big problem, which we want to tackle from the OE side with regular
> tarball releases and autobuilds[2]. See the guadec meeting notes on that.
> Suggestions from commercial users are *very* welcome on this subject.

I have implemented OE (and Angstrom in more recent projects) in at
least 7 embedded projects.  Overall, it has a been a great success
compared to any other method for getting Linux on embedded devices.
Sure there is occasional breakage, but in my experience, it has been
pretty rare -- especially for mainstream stuff.  For what I do, the
availability of _lots_ of current package in my mind far outweighs the
occasional breakage.  As a project, OE still has limited resources, so
I think our time is best spent moving things forward, and doing
autobuilds to keep the quality up.  I recently added a bunch of disk
space to my build machine and hope to contribute more to the autobuild
effort.

> One last thing: autobuilds, autobuilds, autobuilds

Agreed!

Cliff