[oe] RFC: machine customized ixp4xx NPE firmware

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Wed May 16 10:44:45 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 10:54 +0930, Rod Whitby wrote:
> Robin Farine wrote:
> > Another but somewhat related point is the COMPATIBLE_MACHINE
> > variable. If
> > my machine's name does not start with nslug or ixp4xx, I am forced
> > change many package recipes (I suspect it is a FAQ but I do not seem
> > able to access the mailing-list archive at the moment), perhaps a
> > COMPATIBLE_ARCH variable would be help here ?
>
> Which machine/arch are you using?  We can easily extend that
> compatibility to include any other machines/archs that will use it.

A neat way to handle this might be to define:

IXPMACHINES = "nslu2|ixp4xx|whatever"

and then the ixp specific .bb's check IXPMACHINES rather than a specific
list. The list would then be maintained in one place and is easily
updated if anyone adds a new ixp like machine.

I've not looked at the specifics, its just a random idea I had...

Cheers,

Richard