[oe] RFC: MACHINE_ namespace

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Sun May 27 19:28:20 UTC 2007

Hello Marcin,

Sunday, May 27, 2007, 5:38:03 PM, you wrote:

> During usage of progear device (now packed due to lack of space) I found
> a problems related to how we use machine configs and X11.

> 1. We have "alsa" as one of machine features but no way to control kernel
> modules for it - all are added into machine config as
> MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS. Same goes to other features.

> 2. Progear device use X.org instead of KDrive so I had to create own
> images for it because by default we do not have a way to tell which X
> drivers need to be present in images.

> Proposed solution is adding MACHINE_ namespaces:

> MACHINE_KERNEL_ALSA   = "kernel-module-snd-ali5451"
> MACHINE_KERNEL_PCMCIA = "kernel-module-yenta-socket"

        This sounds good, especially if we anticipate from the start
that there may be several modules there. And generally, we need to add
more modules into task-base subtasks, targetting at aim when machine
configs will truly contain only machine-specific bits (like hardware
drivers), while other modules will be in task-base.

[]

--
Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com