[oe] Overriding package config files in OE

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Fri Nov 2 11:08:51 UTC 2007

Cliff Brake wrote:
> Another approach I've been thinking about is to figure out a way for
> bitbake to use <files> from a tree outside the main OE tree.  One
> possibility is for bitbake to pull <files> as well as bb files from a
> high priority bbcollections tree, even though the bb remains in the
> main OE tree.  This probably totally breaks the way bitbake works, but

I think that having an overlay set up as a high priority collection does
work. Steve S. uses one for his gumstix project. I like this method
because I can easily find all the local changes he makes and see if they
need to move back into .dev.

A local overlay lets you change the version of .dev underneath as
needed, without moving changes across branches. Combined with sane
source rev/dates, I believe this gives the people supporting product a
sane build/support environment.

Philip