[oe] Overriding package config files in OE

Cliff Brake cliff.brake at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 14:22:57 UTC 2007

On 11/2/07, Philip Balister <philip at balister.org> wrote:
> Cliff Brake wrote:
> > Another approach I've been thinking about is to figure out a way for
> > bitbake to use <files> from a tree outside the main OE tree.  One
> > possibility is for bitbake to pull <files> as well as bb files from a
> > high priority bbcollections tree, even though the bb remains in the
> > main OE tree.  This probably totally breaks the way bitbake works, but
>
> I think that having an overlay set up as a high priority collection does
> work.

I was referring to the case where I only put the files directory in
the overlay -- not the entire recipe directory.  I have not tried this
lately and will do so the next time I get a chance.

> Steve S. uses one for his gumstix project. I like this method
> because I can easily find all the local changes he makes and see if they
> need to move back into .dev.
>
> A local overlay lets you change the version of .dev underneath as
> needed, without moving changes across branches. Combined with sane
> source rev/dates, I believe this gives the people supporting product a
> sane build/support environment.

Agreed.  I use overlays a lot as well and they work great -- I would
just like to avoid having to copy the entire recipe + the files
directory -- for example just to make a small change in
/etc/network/interfaces.  If you copy the entire recipe directory,
diff'ing is easy initially, but several months down the road it is
very difficult to figure out what you changed.

Cliff