[oe] Getting Started -Makefile

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 14:39:21 UTC 2007

Hello Rod,

> Koen Kooi wrote:
>> Rod Whitby schreef:
>>> Show how you can use bitbake such that you can cd into a build area, and
>>> type a *single* bitbake command to do a build, then cd into a different
>>> build area (with a different distro and machine)
>>
>> Why are you using a different build area for that? That's unnecessary.

> Um, when the MokoMakefile was created, it *was* necessary to have a
> different build area.  Direct your statements to the maintainers of the
> distributions in question, not to those who are trying to help the
> end-users use those build systems.

> Isn't the creator of the OpenMoko build environment an OE core team
> member?  Does the OpenMoko build environment setup documentation follow
> your prescription for TMPDIR and multimachine?

  Well, I see the root of problem exactly here: a typical developer
produces personal/one-off scripts in huge quantities. Few of those
personal/one-off scripts even evolve into something used as multi-shot
and community-local scripts, sometimes.

  But if I'd post my local hack-scripts to the list as something opening
a whole new world, I'd be laughed at. And if I'd use a slightly
different language in the post, I'd be flamed for forcing my crap upon
other people. And that's exactly what happens in this thread.

--
Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com