[oe] Getting Started -Makefile

Rod Whitby rod at whitby.id.au
Wed Nov 21 23:04:34 UTC 2007

Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
> Hello Esben,
> Wednesday, November 21, 2007, 8:20:57 AM, you wrote:
> []
>>> The question is how to fix this problem correctly.
>>> One possibility would be that bitbake, if BBPATH is unset, issues a
>>> warning and scans the file system (starting from the $PWD) for a
>>> certain file (local.conf) in which BBPATH would be specified.
>
>> Something like that would be nice. When bitbake finds BBPATH unset, it
>> traverses from $PWD to / to find a .bbenv (or some other filename, but
>> local.conf is probably not a good one), which can setup BBPATH,
>> PYTHONPATH, OEDIR or whatever env virables is used in the
>> conf/local.conf file.
>
>   LOL. So, editing .bashrc is hard, while creating and editing some
> obscure file is easy?

The difference is that .bashrc is global for the the user, where as a
file can be local to each different build area that the user wants to
keep separate.

What we are discussing is session-local configuration vs
directory-tree-local configuration.  At the moment, bitbake uses some of
each, and that's the root of the problem.  The Makefiles are designed to
turn this into directory-tree-local configuration only.

-- Rod