[oe] Firewall blocking access to monotone server?

Tiller, Jason jtiller at sjm.com
Fri Nov 30 05:41:17 UTC 2007

Hello, OE folx!

I approached the list a couple of weeks ago asking about running OE under Cygwin.  The overwhelming consensus was that I shouldn't even embark on that headache-laden path and instead scare up a Linux box for my OE work.  Well, I took your considered advice and now I'm trying to get OE running.

I'm running on a 400MHz P-III with 256MB of memory running RHEL 4.  The OS is mandated by my IT guys.  I got everything down, finally got everything built (well, so far), including git, svn, mtn, boost, (1.33.1), bb, and a whole host of other packages.  My poor little box has been compiling its little brains out.  I think I have everything in place.

I read the tutorial and got stuck at the actual retrieval of the mtn database.  I downloaded the mtn 0.36 OE snapshot, but when I try to do the first "mtn pull" against monotone.openembedded.org, the connection hangs.  It also hangs against the other servers that have been mentioned.  I think this is due to our company's draconian firewall policy.

If I were to go to my IT guys and ask them (nicely) to help me out, what do I need to tell them in terms of the port/protocol issues?  I'll need to convince them that this is a safe proposition, but I'm sure exactly what I'm asking for.

Thanks in advance.  I *really* want to give this a try since WindRiver quoted me $60k+ for a WRLinux distro/tools/support, just for the first year.  Geez, I'm the *only* programmer at my site - there's no way my boss will fork over that kind of money.  So, I may end up having to roll my own.

Wish me luck!

---Jason