[oe] monotone/git (was hello...)

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Thu Oct 4 13:27:21 UTC 2007

Am 04.10.2007 um 14:55 schrieb Tobias Pflug:

> Well luckily I am not an ignorant git-fanboy :) Could you shortly
> point
> out to me the reasons why you think monotone is favorable over git for
> use with openembedded ? I will admit right away that my limitation
> with
> SCMs in large projects is more than limited. So i can only speak of
> my user experience with git vs my experience with monotone and i
> prefer
> the first.

Hi,

this will be my only to this topic but I see that as following:

git:

	pros:
		+ Speed
		+ Momentum
		+ Merging

	cons:
		- Incompats with other versions
		- repacking (even if probably all known races are fixed)
		- shell mess with bashism and GNUism
		- still complicated to use
		- Does not track directories

mtn:
	cons:
		- Speed on rev pulling (I think mtn ls and status, diff is quite fast)
		- we can not easily merge the dreambox branch (this is why I wrote
mtn2git)

	pros:
		+ trust (I don't feel like remembering the latest over night)
		+ awesome manual
		+ trusting the code base (git is catching up, Linus is a god...
but...)
		+ certs attachable to revs
		+ attributes and other testresults are attachable to files and it
is on my todolist to use them
		+ tracks directories
		+ portable

The last three/four reasons are the one why I would propose to stay
with mtn as the main repository. I'm also working on a git2mtn script
(after having merged the dreambox branch) which could make git a
(semi) supported system for OE (if someone will host it).

z.

PS: I almost exclusively use git-svn for my work on WebKit, specially
for git-reabse...