[oe] getting started - docbook

David Farning dfarning at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 21:26:01 UTC 2007

On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 07:27:37PM +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:

> David Farning schreef:
> > On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 01:06:59PM +0200, Tobias Pflug wrote:
> >> on 1:
> >> with big picture I mean there should be a description of the
> >> "system" with its main components. Currently i think there is too
> >> little of that, and too many use-cases. ("In order to change xyz,
> >> apply abc to 123").
> >
> > I finished a rough draft of getting started this morning.  I am going
> > to let it sit for a week before looking at it again.  Then I will
> > rework as needed and submitte for review.
> >
> > In the mean time I am starting on a introduction chapter.  This will
> > be a very high level overview.  Below is a first stab at the outline.
>
> Even if 99.9% if the people use OE to build linux stuff, it is able to
> build nonlinux targets like bare-metal stuff for the msp430
> microcontroller and things like arm-wince-pe or arm-apple-darwin.

That makes sense.  Nothing special about the Linux kernel.  For the
purposes of documentation would you mind if we:

1 Studied the device - processer, memory, IO, devices....
2 Studied a generic Linux distribution - kernel, libs, apps, packages,
files system....
3 Discussed how to use bb/oe to create a customized distro to run on a
specific device.

Once the user understands how to create a custom linux distro the
theory can be extended to other OSs.

By looking specifically a linux first, the reader has a lot of good, concrete,
 documentation available to them.

> >       1.1.1. Linux Overview ...................
> >       1.1.2. Linux Arctoture ...................
>
> ^ typo

Sorry you will find lots of typos and sentences out of order until
things start nearing a final draft stage.  I have dyslexia so my
drafts are pretty rough.  For the final draft, I have someone read
each sentence aloud so I can get it right;)

Thanks
David Farning