[oe] getting started - docbook

Tobias Pflug tobias.pflug at gmx.net
Sat Oct 27 22:09:17 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 16:26 -0500, David Farning wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 07:27:37PM +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:
> >
> > David Farning schreef:
> > >
> > > I finished a rough draft of getting started this morning.  I am going
> > > to let it sit for a week before looking at it again.  Then I will
> > > rework as needed and submitte for review.
> > >
> > > In the mean time I am starting on a introduction chapter.  This will
> > > be a very high level overview.  Below is a first stab at the outline.
> >
> > Even if 99.9% if the people use OE to build linux stuff, it is able to
> > build nonlinux targets like bare-metal stuff for the msp430
> > microcontroller and things like arm-wince-pe or arm-apple-darwin.
>
> That makes sense.  Nothing special about the Linux kernel.  For the
> purposes of documentation would you mind if we:
>
> 1 Studied the device - processer, memory, IO, devices....
> 2 Studied a generic Linux distribution - kernel, libs, apps, packages,
> files system....
> 3 Discussed how to use bb/oe to create a customized distro to run on a
> specific device.

In my humble opinion that is way out of scope for a OE documentation.
The point is to present the workings and functionalities of OpenEmbedded
and not how to get some arbitrary hardware to run linux from 0 to
100% .. ?

At least that is my conception of what the OE documentation should
provide?

regards,
Tobi