[oe] *Very* newbie question: OE and Cygwin?

Tiller, Jason jtiller at sjm.com
Tue Oct 30 22:52:35 UTC 2007

Hi, All, :)

[Main question: Can I use OE on cygwin to target a PXA270-based board?]

My name is Jason Tiller and I'm a software engineer at St. Jude

Medical, a heart-related medical device company.  I'm the only

software engineer in a division that builds high-intensity focused

ultrasound cardiac ablation devices for the relief of atrial

fibrillation.

I'm evaluating a new microprocessor for a next-generation power

generator.  We hope to use a linux kernel inside the instrument.  I'm

using a Logic Devices PXA270-based Zoom eval board.  I saw on one of

the LD boards that OE has support for this micro/board combination.

I'd like to try OE to build a kernel and throw up some simple apps,

but I have to do the host development in Windows, which means Cygwin.

In fact, the LD SDK is built on cygwin - they provide pre-built win32

gnu cross-tools that rely on cygwin apps.  I'm in the process of

updating my Cygwin installation with all of the tools that the wiki

(http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/RequiredSoftware) declares are

required for OE.  Some of them aren't pre-built Cygwin packages

(psyco, jade (but openjade is), sgmltools, docbook-utils, libsdl), but

it looks like the really important ones are there.

Should I expect a major headache in this effort?  My IT department is

very cautious, and they won't certify my (desperately underpowered)

Linux box for a net connection, so it's a lot easier to use my Windows

box for development.

Thanks for any heads up from a (hopefully) new OE user!

---Jason

St. Jude Medical

My product: http://tinyurl.com/e6gvq