[oe] *Very* newbie question: OE and Cygwin?

Tobias Pflug tobias.pflug at gmx.net
Wed Oct 31 16:35:20 UTC 2007

> Should I expect a major headache in this effort?  My IT department is
>
> very cautious, and they won't certify my (desperately underpowered)
>
> Linux box for a net connection, so it's a lot easier to use my Windows
>
> box for development.

Without having ever tried it I'd say you might be in for some major
troubles. Cygwin in general is in my opinion messy anyway, and running
OE under a cygwin environment is not intended. You might end up running
into problems that nobody else has.. and that would certainly be
annoying.

I think If you want to run linux on some embedded device you really
should have some proper linux based development machine as well. Also
be aware that if your work environment is that picky you might have
problems with the firewall when grabbing sources from various places.
Also you might have to update OE from the monotone repistory sometimes
when there are important changes..

best of luck with your project anyway - the compulab board works fine
I am using one myself at work.

regards,
Tobi