[oe] getting started - docbook

David Farning dfarning at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 20:12:02 UTC 2007

> Now that is /exactly/ what I was trying to say earlier, only you nailed
> it better on the spot. This TOC looks like information you can find in
> various books on embedded linux practices or linux kernel development in
> general.. What's actually lacking is *OE specific* information.

I agree with you both the the OE specific information is what is going
to be the key.  This chapter is going to be pretty brief.

chap 1 intro -15 pages
part 1 embedded device.  Review of the key components.  Will direct
the reader to other resources for more background.

part 2 distribution.  Review to the key components. Will direct the
reader to other resources for more background.

part 3 developing a distribution.  Very general overview of what is
involved in developing a distribution for a device.  Introduction into
how bb/oe can be used to develop a distro.

chap 2 getting started -25 pages
1 install bb
2 install oe
3 configure
4 build
5 test

chap 3 bitbake tutorial - 20 pages

chap 4 Language specific details - ??

chap 5 standard libs/classes

I am still hashing out how to organize chaps 3-5.  A lot of the
information is already available on the wiki or current users manual.
It just needs to be organized and/explained.

For the time being I am thinking a recipes/classes/configs as being
written in the language bb.  This language, like c, is very simple. I
defined variable, tasks(for functions), and a couple of
keywords(inherit, require,...).

Most of the functionality comes from the standard libs(or classes).

I am note sure if this technique will hold or not. It is certainly
helpful while thinking about how different elements of recipes are
written.  I'll let you know in a few days if it seems to be a logical
way of explaining how to write recipes.

I am not sure if you meant to write a new language, but it looks like
you have done so!

Thank
David Farning