[oe] [RFC] How to handle external kernel patches in oe the right way?

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Wed Sep 5 19:52:21 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-05 at 20:52 +0200, Dr. Michael Lauer wrote:
> Koen Kooi wrote:
> > Richard Purdie schreef:
> > I'm having issues with crap like do_prepatch. Patches are only
> applied by patch.bbclass,
> > not some hand written voodoo <period>.
>
> Very well. If it annoys you so much, feel free to enhance patch.bbclass to
> deal with upstream series files while retaining OE-added patches to it.
>
> Until then, I think we shouldn't make life more complicated for the
> actual upstream developers just because of going a bit too far wrt. to
> our principles.

I'm afraid I'm with Mickey here. I don't like the way this "prepatching"
works and I think its pretty ugly but I can understand why people are
doing it. I'd like to see a better solution but until then what they're
doing allows them to develop effectively which is what we're supposed to
be about.

Cheers,

Richard