[oe] [RFC] How to handle external kernel patches in oe the right way?

Dr. Michael Lauer mickey at vanille-media.de
Wed Sep 5 22:53:42 UTC 2007

Koen Kooi wrote:
>> Very well. If it annoys you so much, feel free to enhance patch.bbclass to
>> deal with upstream series files while retaining OE-added patches to it.

> Like I said *many* times before, the ezx patch script does that.

As far as I can see this script just dumps out SRC_URI lines. Which
means everytime someone commits a new revision of the patch. Even if
it's not me that needs to do it, I don't like it because it's a manual process.

>> Until then, I think we shouldn't make life more complicated for the
>> actual upstream developers just because of going a bit too far wrt. to
>> our principles.

> How many times to I have to offer to do the work for you!?!?!

Look, I really appreciate this and thanks for that, however I think
there is something seriously wrong in principle if we start treating
OE as a patch archive. This is semi-ok for when we don't have control
over upstream, but it just shouldn't be that way in general.

I think we talked long enough about that, there are different views
here and I doubt that one of us will be able to convince the other.

It was about time we ultimately disagree over an issue. Now let's see
whether we have a working process to deal with such a situation :)

The options:

a) vote for one solution and go with the winner
b) a compromise and make one "stable" bb with patches in OE and one
"unstable" bb that drags patches from upstream.

Eventually we may as well find a suitable compromise in XorA's suggested
patch that makes the fetcher and the patcher know about a quilt series
file, but let's talk about this when it's there.

Regards,

:M:
--
Michael 'Mickey' Lauer | IT-Freelancer | http://www.vanille-media.de