[oe] How should OE be used?

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Mon Sep 24 21:11:42 UTC 2007

Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 04:48 +1000, Lorn Potter wrote:
>> I have always thought that oe needed an easier way to choose packages,
>> like buildroot.
>>
>> Some gui that can edit all the conf's and task's, and image.bb's
>> painlessly and easily would make a tom of difference.
>> The learning curve for oe is too high.
>
> This is something I plan to raise at OEDEM.
>
> It should be relatively well known by now that I want to improve bitbake
> to the extent where writing some kind of UI around it is straightforward
> and we can start improving the user experience from this angle.

Excellent.

>> Take buildroot, for example. A person can download it, run make
>> menuconfig, set up the system, arch, and select packages, all in one
>> go.
>> You do not need to know that you should have to either edit or create
>> your own tasks, or image .bb's, much less the syntax for those files.
>
> Playing devil's advocate, take Poky, for example. A person can
> download/check it out, edit one simple configuration file
> (comment/uncomment lines), source a file and go :).

This is ok for an individual with a known device, but for a company that
needs to produce their own distribution, for a new device, Poky is not a
choice. _These_ are the people/companies that the OE/Foundation should
also be targeting to grow.

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Software Engineer, Systems Group, MES, Trolltech