[oe] How should OE be used?

Richard Purdie rpurdie at rpsys.net
Mon Sep 24 22:35:42 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 07:11 +1000, Lorn Potter wrote:
> > Playing devil's advocate, take Poky, for example. A person can
> > download/check it out, edit one simple configuration file
> > (comment/uncomment lines), source a file and go :).
>
> This is ok for an individual with a known device, but for a company that
> needs to produce their own distribution, for a new device, Poky is not a
> choice.

I didn't make comment about Poky's suitability for anything.

All I said is that its possible to produce a one stop configuration
process for OE which is as easy as your buildroot example. This proves
that its not some fundamental problem with OE, someone just needs to
implement it.

As for "for a company that needs to produce their own distribution, for
a new device, Poky is not a choice", thats just nonsense and our
experiences suggests otherwise ;-).

> _These_ are the people/companies that the OE/Foundation should also
> be targeting to grow.

I think all agreed that OE wants to see more of these people/companies
using OE.

Cheers,

Richard