[oe] Building multiple gdb-cross targets

Geoffrey Wossum geoffrey at pager.net
Fri Apr 4 18:46:08 UTC 2008

On Friday 04 April 2008 12:48:59 pm Khem Raj wrote:
> Geoffrey Wossum wrote:

> > How can I get OE to build just an avr32-gdb?  How can I get OE to build
> > both avr32-gdb and avr32-linux-gdb (aka avr32-angstrom-linux-uclibc-gdb)?
>
> They are two different configurations of gdb the one OE will build for
> you is the cross gdb which is supposed to cross debug linux applications
> (e.g. arm-*-linux-gnueabi). The one you are intending to have is what I
> call baremetal (e.g. arm-eabi)  debugger. I dont think you will be able
> to build this with ease using OE as they are really two different
> targets for OE to build.

It was easy enough to build the bare metal debugger outside OE.  Just seems
like you should be able to build this with OE, too.  It seems like it might
need a separate .bb file to pull it off.  Not exactly sure how you'd force
bitbake to use a different target setting.  Maybe setting the TARGET_OS to be
blank in the bitbake file?

> Why would avr-linux gdb not work ?

From the avr32linux wiki entry on kernel debugging:
avr32-gdb (the standalone debugger) or avr32-linux-gdb. Preferably the former
since it has the ability to read and write system registers.

---
Geoffrey