[oe] [Review] Remove /xorg-lib/pixman_* in favor of /libpixman/libpixman_*

pHilipp Zabel philipp.zabel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 19:08:05 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Leon Woestenberg
<leon.woestenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Philipp,
>

>  On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 4:45 PM, pHilipp Zabel <philipp.zabel at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Leon Woestenberg
>  >  <leon.woestenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  > Hello Koen,
>  >  >  On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 8:44 AM, Koen Kooi
>  >  >  <koen at dominion.kabel.utwente.nl> wrote:
>  >  >  >  How about dropping the xorg-lib one and renaming libpixman to pixman?
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  +1 on both. I'll commit tomorrow if nobody beat me to it.
>  >
>  >  Sorry I'm late, but I kind of maybe disagree a bit. I might be
>  >  confused about the cairo/xorg source locations, but as I understand
>  >  it, xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/lib is the canonical
>  >  upstream version. So why not put it in xorg-lib and make use of
>  >  xorg-lib-common.inc?
>  >
>  Putting it in xorg-lib is not the big issue. However including
>  xorg-lib-common.inc is a big issue.
>
>  For a system that only uses pixman, and not anything else, it starts
>  building a complete X server etc. etc. because the xorg include adds
>  those dependencies.

Argh, I didn't see that.
I guess we could start including xorg-lib-common.inc and overwriting
DEPENDS = "" in pixman.bb, but that's a bit hackish...
As pixman doesn't gain too much from xorg-lib-common.inc, I'm just as
fine with putting it outside xorg-lib.

>  These dependencies are NOT in pixman. Maybe in upper libraries, but
>  even then it depends on their configuration etc. etc.
>
>  I'ld like to keep the "embedded" in OpenEmbedded, also for small
>  embedded Linux systems.

Sure thing. Especially as this is not even an optional dependency, but
just plain wrong :)

>  What would be the good reason to keep pixman in the xorg-lib
>  directory? Why do we have this directory, we don't have a gnome/
>  directory where gtk+ lives, I do not really see the benefit?

The main reason was to group the common fields of many very similar
recipes into -common.inc files so they wouldn't have to be duplicated
all the time. This also decreased the number of entries in the
packages dir quite a bit. And I figured it's just easier to check for
updates / new xorg packages by running some scripts against the xorg-*
dirs and $XORG_MIRROR/.../index.html than to maintain a list of xorg
packages or even watch them manually.
The only reason left I see for putting pixman in xorg-lib is a)
consistency and b) I have to add an exception for pixman to my shell
script so it doesn't show up as missing :)

regards
Philipp