[oe] Building ubuntu/gcc-4_2-branch to get GCJ for arm EABI

Matthijs van de Water matthijs.van.de.water at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 13:50:14 UTC 2008

Hello,

I'm going to try to build
svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/branches/ubuntu/gcc-4_2-branch
Which is essentially a copy of gcc-4_2-branch with gcc/java, libjava,
zlib, libffi and boehm-gc merged from GCC trunk.

This includes a working GCJ for ARM EABI, which is what I'm interested in.

I'm not sure how I should go about this and if maybe one of you have
already tried something like this or have suggestions before I dive
in. I've already checked and all patches that are in OE for GCC 4.2.2
still apply.

I was thinking of calling my package 'gcc-4.2.3-ubuntu' does that make sense?

For now, I simply copied 4.2.2*.bb and 4.2.2*.inc files to 4.2.3-ubuntu files:
    gcc_4.2.3-ubuntu.bb
    gcc-cross_4.2.3-ubuntu.bb
    gcc-4.2.3-ubuntu.inc
    gcc-cross-sdk_4.2.3-ubuntu.bb
    gcc-cross-initial_4.2.3-ubuntu.bb
    gcc-4.2.3-ubuntu

and changed gcc-4.2.3-ubuntu.inc to point its SRC_URI to svn, S to the
correct dir and enabled JAVA by
JAVA_linux-gnueabi = ",java"

I'm running a build now (but that tends to take quite a while) and
I'll report back my findings. Any suggestions or general explanations
of how all these packages work together are more than welcome, because
I'm not really sure what I'm doing...

Regards,

Matthijs van de Water