[oe] union fs

Szabolcs Szakacsits szaka at ntfs-3g.org
Tue Apr 15 21:48:52 UTC 2008

Mike (mwester <mwester <at> dls.net> writes:

> According to the official docs, due to limitations of the fuse driver
> for 2.4 kernels, ntfs-3g on such old kernels is prone to data loss.
> This is a fuse problem, but effectively if you value your NTFS
> partition's consistency, it means that ntfs-3g on such old kernels
> should be read-only.
>
> On 2.6, ntfs-3g works wonderfully on all the devices in read and write
> modes, and is the driver I recommend for NTFS support on the SlugOS
> (ARM) distro.
>
> Sorry for not being more clear.

I see, thank you for the explanation. I think we should have better documented
this ntfs-3g issue, sorry about it.

Everything is as safe with the 2.4 kernels as with the 2.6 ones if after umount
one makes sure that the ntfs-3g process is terminated before a device is
detached or the box is powered down. This can be ensured automatic e.g. by a
few shell commands.

Regards,  Szaka

--
NTFS-3G: http://ntfs-3g.org