[oe] Summary of an unwanted merge and what I did

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Mon Apr 28 14:39:04 UTC 2008

On Monday 28 April 2008 13:44:32 Holger Freyther wrote:
> Hey,

> ideas? I'm tempted to say sorry but I think I'm not the one to blame (a
> tool is) :)

I went with a "mtn diff -r merge -r good head |
patch -p0 -R --remove-empty-files; mtn drop --missing; mtn ci" and ask
everyone helping to fix the fallout, e.g., this removed new versions of
gnash, multitab-pad and other things, don't blame me.

mtn disapprove and mtn suspend are pretty cool concepts but they come with
shortcomings I don't see fixed within the next year or two:

	- mtn disapprove does not work on merges
	- mtn suspend and other certs only work with if all people on this planet
have a mtn >= the introduction of this cert. Some sort of flag day (talks are
ongoing on this) or some sort of semantic to don't use this rev if you don't
understand the 'systems' certs is needed.

I don't think these issues, a working graphical front end, new features are
getting finished within a year or two and instead of entering the SCM
development I would prefer to go with the best one.

it is about time to switch and I'm tempted to say to not contribute to OE as
long as we use mtn, I'm not sure on this though. I will make up my mind on
it.

z.