[oe] openmp in gcc-cross

Phil Blundell pb at reciva.com
Wed Aug 6 07:49:20 UTC 2008

The error with gettext is just a straightforward "-lgomp not found" kind
of thing.  Gettext will compile OK with older, non-OpenMP-capable
compilers: it checks for the -fopenmp flag during configure, but it
expects (not unreasonably) that if you have an OpenMP capable compiler
then you will also have the right libraries available.

For people who don't want OpenMP I think the right thing is to have a
global "USE_OPENMP" variable to turn off OpenMP support at the package
level.  For most autotools-using packages this is going to mean adding
"--disable-openmp" to EXTRA_OECONF.

You're right that OpenMP might indeed be overkill on some/most embedded
systems, but embedded multi-threading is by no means unheard of and I
guess it will become more popular as CPUs like the Cortex-A9 and newer
Pentiums start to show up in these systems.

I verified that libgomp does compile OK with gcc 4.2.2, so I guess I'll
go ahead and re-enable it for that version at least.

p.