[oe] git and dir

Rolf Leggewie no2spam at nospam.arcornews.de
Wed Aug 13 23:33:17 UTC 2008

Hi,

this is something I've been pondering upon today.  I'm hoping for some
discussion, an opportunity to learn and possibly to make OE even better.

It has always been possible to shoot yourself in the foot with OE.  I
believe the opportunities will rise with the introduction of git.  The
reason is that AFAIU, with mtn there was a 1:1 relation between checkout
dir and upstream branch.  This information was recorded in _MTN/options.
  git does not have this restriction.  One can freely add remote
branches to an existing checkout with "git remote add" and switch to
them with "git checkout $branch".  This can easily corrupt tmp/ and I
fear it will happen quite often.  I wonder if there is anything
OE/bitbake can do to alleviate the pain.

Regards

Rolf

PS: I am just thinking if it made sense to add the possibility to
include the git branch name in TMPDIR just like we can include DISTRO
now.  I think that would go a long way towards making problems to occur
only seldomly if at all.